Counterfeits and E-Waste – Your Voice Matters – Sign this Petition to Support SEERA!
The federal government and the defense industry are enacting new policies and practices to prevent the introduction of counterfeit components into supply chains along with methods to detect them should they slip through yet, despite several attempts, no federal e-waste recycling mandate currently exists.
Two previous bipartisan bills were introduced which would forbid U.S. companies from exporting e-waste: H.R.2284 - Responsible Electronics Recycling Act (introduced June 22, 2011) and H.R.2791 - Responsible Electronics Recycling Act (introduced July 23, 2013). Both versions of the bill died.
On June 24, 2016 Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) along with Rep. Paul Cook (R-CA) launched a third attempt to stop the flow of electronic waste to China and other countries known for producing counterfeit electronic parts by introducing H.R. 5579, the Secure E-waste Export and Recycling Act (SEERA).
We need broad industry support in order to pass this legislation.
You can help make H.R. 5579 a top priority for Congress by signing the attached petition.
Sign the Petition: http://americanerecycling.org/resourcesandnews/onlinepetition.html
ERAI always wants you to make an informed decision. For that reason, we created a new knowledge center located in the "Toolbox" section of erai.com as a resource to help educate organizations and individuals to better understand the role e-waste plays in today’s counterfeit epidemic and how SEERA will ensure that such waste does not become a source of counterfeit goods that may reenter the supply chain.
Currently the following resources have been compiled for your convenience:
- E-waste In the News – A live news feed intended to keep you up-to-date.
- Featured Papers and Articles – A library of white papers and relevant articles.
- Get Involved – Learn what you can do to stop the exportation of E-waste
- Government Responses – Global initiatives committed to preventing the transfer of hazardous waste from developed to less developed countries.
- E-Waste Initiatives – Organizations working to pass legislation and raise awareness.
- Legislation – The introduction of the Secure E-Waste Export and Recycling Act (SEERA).
- Videos – A library of educational documentaries that capture the perils of improper recycling.
“Now is the time for everyone concerned about counterfeits to speak up. Electronics counterfeiting is a complex, multifaceted challenge, and SEERA can be a key part of a solution that complements the good work on procurement reform and other measures.”- Robert Houghton, CEO of Sage Sustainable Electronics and a co-founder of CAER
Congress needs to act by the end of the year when the current session concludes. Nothing is more persuasive for Congressional offices than hearing from their constituents – your voice can make a difference.
SEE MORE BLOG ENTRIES